- Grazing BMP is a standardised system of benchmarking your grazing management practices against the whole industry.
- Identify and explore your enterprise’s strengths and weaknesses
- Get the latest on information and legislation to help run a successful grazing business
- Get technical advice to help give you that extra edge
- No cost to producers – funded by the Queensland Government’s Building Drought Resilience Project
- Complete all 5 Grazing BMP modules in one manageable block over one and a half days
DCQ is proud to be partnering with Department of Agriculture and Fisheries to deliver another workshop for producers in the region.
Where & when:
- Blackall (8 / 9 May) – Blackall Cultural Centre
The first day runs from 8:30 to 4:30; the second day from 8:30 to 12 noon, so you’ll have plenty of time to have a yarn then drive home.
- Lunch and smokos provided
- Positions limited and will fill fast so register now.
What is covered:
Grazing land management – David Phelps (Dept. Agriculture and Fisheries): managing the land resource / managing grazing pressure / paddock sizes and stocking rates / mapping / land capability / monitoring land condition / fencing to land type / water infrastructure / biodiversity / vegetation management / weeds and pest animals
Animal production – Tim Emery (Tropical Beef Technology Services): land capability / markets / reproduction / weaning / nutrition / genetics / production system suitability / cattle performance / breeding objectives / bull selection / heifer management
People and business – Peter Whip (PRW Agribusiness): financial risk management / succession planning / business performance analysis / work/life balance / effective communication / shared goals and objectives / data collection / ongoing education / labour and legal requirements
Animal health and welfare – Dept. Agriculture and Fisheries: health management program / extreme weather / predation / biosecurity / animal welfare / transport / diseases / vaccines / parasites / droughts and floods / weed seed hygiene / stock handling facilities
Soil health – Bruce Alchin (Bruce Alchin & Associates): structure and characteristics / chemical properties / ground cover / biology / mapping / soil flora and fauna / nutrients / soil and land types / ground cover / salinity
- Update on new Bovine Johnes Disease regulations, including interstate transport and export (Dept. Agriculture and Fisheries)
- Insight into assessing pasture and vegetation changes (Desert Channels Queensland)
Register online here. For more information, or to register over the phone, contact Doug Allpass on 4652 7814 or Kiri Broad on 4536 8301.