Soil Carbon and Gidyea Management
Practical information for western Queensland on managing gidyea for pasture productivity, including fire and grazing practices; soil carbon and what it means to your enterprise; the carbon economy, the role of the Emission Reduction Fund, and insights on how to put together a project; and the virtues of the DCQ Prickly Acacia eradication program.
Barcaldine, Tuesday 30th May, Ken Wilson Pavilion at the Showgrounds – 8:30 am to 4:15 pm
What you’ll learn:
- Mechanical clearing dos and don’ts
- Self-assessment plus rules and regulations
- Seed bank, grass cover, drought resilience and grazing management plans
- Implications of fire and grazing practices on gidyea and pasture productivity
- Interaction between soil carbon and pasture management
- Soil carbon benefits and challenges
- Carbon economy and the Emissions Reduction Fund
- Pasture gains from Prickly Acacia eradication
- DCQ’s Prickly Acacia eradication program and you
Who should attend:
- Producers who want to get the most from their land
- No charge (funded through DCQ by the National Landcare Program)
- Smokos and lunch provided
- Bookings essential
- Secure your spot by phoning DCQ on 4658 0600 or, after hours, call Doug Allpass on 0427 427 090.
- If you prefer, you can book online now by clicking here.
- David Phelps – scientist with 26 years western Queensland experience in pasture management, particularly Mitchell Grass.
- John Gavin – 20 years experience with pastoral resource management; specialises in carbon economy and Emission Reduction Fund.
- Steven Bray – soil scientist for 20 years; specialises in soil carbon and the links with pasture management.
- George Bourne – Senior Vegetation Management Officer with decades of experience in central and western Queensland.
- Simon Wiggins – DCQ Acting Operations Manager with extensive experience in weed control, and research and development.
- Doug Allpass – ex-grazier with a lifetime of practical experience with weeds and pasture management; currently DCQ’s Regional Landcare Facilitator.